Sunday, May 4, 2014

Hrmph

Polka on Rotation. At least he's reading the music here

I am getting stronger day by day now and can even feel mozzie bites again which I havn't felt for weeks (as my skin surface is numb) and best of all I've almost got my sense of taste back, but in the process seem to have lost my sense of humour. Such a weird feeling not being able to taste. Mealtimes became quite joyless without the pleasure of eating. I'm also walking unassisted now around the house and can maneuver the staircases - which has been a big leap, well totter maybe, forward.

It was my birthday on Tuesday. Thank goodness for Facebook, otherwise the day would only have consisted of bed, a good book and 12 hours of complete silence apart from a few lovely long-distance phone calls. Not exactly celebratory, but peaceful all the same.

The crap truism of being too weak to make the most of all the downtime also frustrates the hell out of me. The omnipresent Baby Books, for example, are always there to haunt me. I've so far managed James's first year, which only leaves me with 31 years to catch up. My fine motor skills are shot however and we don't have any photographic developing on the island - so I've got quite a good excuse this time round. The deadline has to be the first grandchild I'd imagine, so a few more years of self-abasement and guilt to go.

I've now watched just about everything there is to see on the iPlayer and have used up my social media quota for the next 5 years. I'm am getting up every morning now and on Thursday was able to help Georgie prepare for his RCM piano exam. Although I plonked back into bed completely exhausted afterwards, I did shed a few frustrated tears at not being able to accompany the boys to their exams.

It's been nearly 6 weeks now with this ghastly 'thing' and I am the worlds most impatient person. The severity of it has been all encompassing, but recovery must surely be on track if the personality is starting to default back to type? I start physio next week and am looking forward to re-building this rather broken body. I'm also working hard on keeping the serenity but regaining the sense of humour.

In the meantime though I'll just keep  hrmpphing like Eyeore in Winnie The Pooh and ignoring the plastic chips which are meant to be made into beanbags.Uncompleted Project Number 350.









No comments:

Post a Comment