Sunday, November 17, 2013

Good One


Caribbean Dinghy Champs 2013: Winners Team BVI

I'm officially sick of being miserable. A friend said to me this week "write a book!" and my reply was (after "when?") was "what about? It's so boring going on about how hard it is all the time".  I'd be like a Leonard Cohen soundtrack, although I believe he's cheered up now that he's in his Seventies. Hope yet, then.

I'm also pretty betwixt & between with this blog: 'What To Do With The Blog' is another refrain in my Leonard repertoire. The reality is that I have a lot of local readers and well, basically - the smaller the island, the blander the blog.

I made the silly mistake the other day of "unfriending" a couple of "friends" (not knowing you could just "switch off" "friends" - isn't virtual life fantastic?) which resulted in a fair amount of unsolicited vitriol. So unless I pretty much want to offend half the island, I will have to continue to write about the view and how tired I am. Not forgetting Children's Sailing, of course (see below).

Anyway it's been a pretty good week. James went off to Antigua as part of the BVI sailing team to compete in the Caribbean Dinghy Championships, and not only did Team BVI win, but James & his sailing buddy Sam came second in their class. Pretty bloody awesome, really.

We've also has some much needed new staff join us in the Bakery to help with our ever expanding traiteur range and to start preparing for Christmas, which is already giving me sleepless nights (oops, there I go again....."It's foooour oh clock in the moooooorning....." drones Leonard).

It's all fabulous.

We've also had to concede that homeschooling is for people who actually stay at home, unlike us, who don't. Georgie & William start at St George's Primary School tomorrow, where their father went.  St George's is an Anglican church school with an excellent academic track record following the British Caribbean Curriculum. It's in the historic part of Road Town in a brand new building,
St George's
but shares the lovely St George's Church Hall and grounds. Tyler still remembers listening to the bats in the bellfry during long assembly's.

The boys will be able to learn steel pan and also  how to spell properly and seem oddly excited about having to polish their shoes.  Given that they will be attending Diocesan boarding schools, St George's is going to be an excellent bridge, we feel.

We are sad however that homeschooling didn't work out: Our one month of the real deal (September) was a lot of fun and left me in no doubt that homeschooling gives kids a huge advantage. We will continue to learn French and some other stuff to keep us all on our toes.

The bakery is also rocking. I'm up to Florida later on this week to kick start Phase 2 in World Domination.

I'm still feeling a little heart sore about family but c'est la vie, life goes on.





No comments:

Post a Comment