Friday, December 23, 2011

A 100 Stollen later....



Our first day as a 'family' business - me clutching a Red Bull  

OK, a quick post whilst I wait to put in a new batch of mince pies into the oven. It's Friday evening - the 23rd. We've cancelled on the party we were meant to go to in order to bake and fill orders which have been coming in. I think Tyler has literally had about 10 hours sleep max this week and we've just heard that he has to work on Christmas Day. This has me hitting my lowest point here, to date - mainly driven it has to be said, by sheer exhaustion.

However, we count our blessings:

Firstly, and most importantly - Greg is out of the danger zone and it looks like he might be out of hospital, as of about an hour ago. Can't tell you howmuch joy that brings us.

Secondly, after about 100 stollens, 500 gingerbread men, 500 mince pies, and about 1000 Christmas biscuits - our first little outing as a bakery business has been wonderfully supported and very positively received. It's been so long in the planning that it is hard to believe it is finally happening. But it is, even as I type - Tyler is baking sourdough loaves in our tiny little kitchen and I need to go in and make 30 gingerbread girls and 30 personalised gingerbread hearts.

I think we may be having Chinese take-aways for Christmas lunch, as so far I've not managed to get to the shops. An interesting place to be in about 24 hours before Christmas, especially on an island (things run out quickly). We might have to do one of those quirky 'alternative' Chritsmas meals that bored Food Editors dream up and nobody makes (spaghetti bolognese for Christmas anyone?).

Thirdly: It's been winter here this week. Fabulous! I think I've managed to wear a long sleeve T Shirt every night. We've even switched off the fans and the boys have their duvets on their beds.

Finally: We're happy, we're all healthy, the boys are thriving and we see a great future on the other side of all this hard work and sacrifice. We miss our friends & family most desperately. My heart aches with it. But here we are, our second Christmas away (this time last year our container arrived today and we unpacked all of  Christmas) still standing.

Happy Christmas everyone, joy be with you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment