Friday, June 24, 2011

Endless Summer, coming up shortly

File:RFA Wave Ruler (A390).jpg
RFA Waveruler in the Channel - for some reason this makes me happy

This week just felt like it was never going to end. Mothers and children are almost on their knees by now, counting down the hours till schools out (next Thursday). My first season as a full-time mother has been long and interesting. We all really, really need a holiday.

It is now officially bloody hot. It must also be summer as our Royal Navy friend,  RFA Wave Ruler has replaced the mega yachts (who have all go down to the Trinidad hurricane shelters for Summer) and is moored out in Drake Channel again. The boys keep a watch with the binoculars from the balcony ("I can see canons..."). Apparently an active Hurricane Season is expected – so some compulsive Weather Channel watching coming up again, interspersed with a few moments of potential anxiety for us.....

Many people are disappearing back to England and other places for the next few months. Restaurants are starting to close until October/November and there are no cruise ships coming in. It’s just going to be us locals banging about the island for a while now, panting in the shade and having the place to ourselves for a bit.

Hard to think that it’s already the end of June and that in 2 months time, we would have been here for a year. The children are slowly acquiring Mid-Atlantic accents and James has definitely got the long-haired-trilby-hat-bermuda shorts-island-surfer-dude-thing down pat.

The boys are very excited about doing lots of sailing during the summer and I’m compulsively drawing up lots of schedules in the hope that it will all just organize itself.   

Tyler is back on night shifts again for a bit, so we have a quiet weekend coming up. Our mango trees are covered in hundreds of mangoes and I need to get on with some chutney-making and other domestic delights. Can't wait.

A good friend has just moved in next door, and so we now have a little road of kids whizzing up and down on their bicycles and running in and out of each others houses. Not quite Stepford Wives,  more Melrose Place, but all very cosy.

Time to go and fry the Waitrose Cod Fish Fingers for the children's supper. I know I'm a chef's wife and that the carbon footprint on this one really sucks. Frankly, right now -  I really, really don’t care.

PS: This is what kept me going this week. Magnetic Man - I Need Air (Yes, I related to this sadly). I am really, rather completely  utterly in love with this song. What's wrong with me?  I'm becoming this 40-year old ++  Rave Bunny. Must be the sun. (PS Don't watch the video - too many Hoodies on E).

No comments:

Post a Comment