Saturday, April 30, 2011

A royal treat of a day


About 7pm yesterday

It's not often that one's birthday falls on a royal wedding day, and you get a holiday thrown in for good measure - so yesterday really was a very special day. Tyler & I were up at 5am (not difficult as the roosters are already in full cry by then, and the sky is pinky gorgeous) to set up the BBC streaming download. We connected just as The Brides Mother Left Her Hotel. I got a bit distracted and teary-eyed about it all and ended up watching until The Vows, which then made me horribly behind in the big cooking marathon that needed to happen before Noon, when all my new friends were descending for our Royal Balcony Party.


We cooked, and whipped, and swept and shoved all the junk into the black-hole we call the Study, and I put on my tiara (yes, I had a rather large choice here could you believe) and then commenced drinking buckets of bubbles, guzzling copious amounts of Coronation Chicken (which was delicious if I say so myself) and watching an awful amount of Wedding TV.

The food went down really well. The Cherry Coke Ham was delicious and the rhubarb and Pimms trifle was a good one. We even had juicy strawberries and cream, which with champagne has to be one of the ultimate 'more-ish' puddings around. The piece-de-resistance however, was the birthday cake - which I had iced at midnight the night before (after several largeish aged rums) and was made with marshmellow fondant - which was a brilliant discovery in 'Boer Maak 'n Plan-ness' - as although we had a choice of tiara's, fondant icing was a push too far, for the local shops.

The millions of children disappeared into the hens coop or up the road, or somewhere - I was blissfully unaware of them, and then they all re-appeared when it was home-time, so perfect, really.

Of course, we are now still washing up - the downside to every party in this place - but I thought I'd give the sweeping a break to quickly post this. This afternoon we are off to watch a BVI international rugby match (against Barbados) where we seem to know half the team and the average age is about 38!

The children are back at school on Monday, there is piles of work to catch-up with now that all the holidays are over - but this afternoon I think I might just watch a few re-runs of yesterday, and dream a little more!


Tired, happy boys!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks lovely - happy Birthday for the other day. I watched the whole wedding with a lump in my throat and a glass of bubbly in my hand on Friday evening after a crazy week. LOts of love P xxxx

    ReplyDelete