Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sorted

OOOhhhhh, We are now Connected.  We have internet at home even though I am squatting on our bedroom floor (do not even ask why) and Tyler had to run around with the out-of-retirement- I remember- your-parents technician to actually, physically (this is a true story) go and 'help' with making the ADSL connection at the main station his very own self......Luckily we had the background in telecoms installations and my rather vicious lack of patience, which I  had on Thursday,  when I was told that C & W were no longer doing any installations "due to  d'hurricane". I fail to understand Caribbean at such times, and generally become unpleasant and unreasonable until a solution is found. This combination of on the job technical know-how and murderous focus seems to have worked this time, but should probably not be used too often going forward  if we want to live here longer than about a year.

Anyhow, I can now buy a Kindle and shop on-line and rejoin the human race.   I was starting to have a few Doris Lessing moments - aimless White woman flopping around the Tropics listlessly in thin, sticky cotton dress (just without the sex). A month of no technology has definetly re-affirmed my love of all things Global.

News for the Week:

Friday: I went out for dinner with new friends. Since I'm no longer use to either adult company or going out at night,  I got rather over-excited and had to spend Saturday mainly cowering under our mosquito net with a Grade A headache.
Saturday: See Friday
Sunday: We went out for lunch in Josiahs Bay to celebrate our wedding anniversary - which was actually on Saturday, but see Friday.
Monday: Tyler saw a shark on our dive. I, thankfully, did not, otherwise I would have walked back to the island.
Tuesday: Signed my new contract. Never thought I'd say this but I'm actually looking forward to working again. Start on Friday - Georgies birthday. Went to spend the afternoon with lovely SA friend in Lamberts Bay. Got the children home at 7:30. Disgraceful mother. Children exhausted and still had to do homework. Anyway it was a lovely afternoon.

Highlights for the Week going forward include a new book club on Thursday. This is a very grown up one where you actually have to read the book ( The Help by Kathryn Sprockett - excellent) and behave (unlike our one in Joburg). Lunch (hopefully)  with Abigail  - Sugar Apple blogger newfriend. Starting work.

Urrr, that is about it.

Photo from Le Tartine Gourmande
PS In defence of my driving skills, which illicited some comments:
  1. The cars are left hand drive (you keep looking for the gears with your left arm and end up with the door handle)
  2. The roads are right hand drive (in keeping with the US/UK parity here)
  3. Most roads look like this picture.

3 comments:

  1. Wow wee, so looking forward to more blog posts, this is super cool fun. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wow wee to the view the road has!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and great news about the web! Yahoo to Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete