Thursday, September 23, 2010

Loving/Not Loving

I’m not having a good island day today, in fact it is not even 9:30 in the morning and I’m shaking like a leaf. Reason? I cannot reverse out of our driveway in the new car. I have been trying now for the past hour and cannot get enough power to get up it, not stall, and not scrape the wall – which I managed to do in the hired car. So I’m not loving today, and I’ve had to phone Tyler to come and help me. And you all thought our driveway in Seventh Avenue was bad!!

In my efforts to calm myself down, I am playing mental Cosmopolitan love/hate lists, so here we are:

What I love about living on the island:

1. The island sparkles. My permafrost is thawing and I sleep at night. I’m starting to dream again. The pace is wonderful and everything seems manageable. I see a life.

2. Men seem very happy here. Maybe it’s the slightly swashbuckling 4X4/Machette/Work/Sea combination – but men seem to be very bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Most of the “city” here are lawyers who all work long days and then seem to sail a lot. All my men – both big and small are thriving.

3. The lifestyle – when everything works – is magical. Lovely homes, sociable, fun.

4. The access to everything in both the US and Europe is so easy and reasonable. To be able to receive things 2-5 days after placing the order and for it to actually arrive through the postal system, is still a huge novelty.

5. People are wonderful – easy, friendly and supportive. I’m looking forward to making new friends and lots of parties!

What I’m not loving so much:

1. It’s like living in the Transkei. Things take time, it’s scruffy and many things remain inexplicable. I’m becoming furious about our lack of internet connection, but everyone just smiles indulgently and then tells you their horror story (“it took 3 months/2 years/never worked” etc).

2. The roads are seriously hectic. Very steep, narrow and potholed - compounded by everyone roaring around in huge cars. One gets accused of being “a bit of a girl” when any fear is shown. A Hummer is definitely an option (if only to drive over the latter).

3. Bugs. Particulary horrible are these little buggers called “no-see-ums” (because you can’t see them) which just eat you up until you develop an immunity. Then the mosquitos (“I hate Skeeto’s” says William) are constant. We have mosquito covers on all the doors and windows, and my new perfume is “Peaceful Sleep”.

4. Culture. The choice is Gospel or Reggae. There is a cinema and it only costs $2 to hire all the latest DVD’s from the local pirate above the (very good) Chinese takeaway. Satellite TV is meant to be coming to the island, so we’ll hang in there.

5. Tacky Tourism. When the cruise boats arrive, the island seems to go into theme park mode. It’s an excuse for crappy food, bad service, high prices and a knee-jerk Calypso style, which is cringe-inducing. If anyone knows ‘Nims Island’ – it is just like the Buccaneer ship arriving!

On balance however, as long as one dosn't burn out the clutch too often, it is everything and more that we could have dreamed of. Paradise it ain't - but a very good life, certainly.

I’m treating myself to an Internet Fest today - replying to emails, reading papers, looking at eBay and Amazon. Tyler is working all day at the restaurant and this is the first morning I’ve actually had to myself in about a month!  I've loved having this time off and have another glorious week until I start with Osiris at the beginning of October.

I've now cheered myself up with writing this so Happy Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment