Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Valentine's Postscript


It's another late night cooking/baking marathon. Tyler has gone off to bed, exhausted after a long day. I'm  feeling strong after a quiet but productive day yesterday at home catching my breath, so can step in.

I probably should have done this post last Friday, when it was all hearts and chocolates, but Valentine's Day is really big here on the island, and the bakery was slammed.  A Good Thing.

Like any couple, we spend our fair amount of time squabbling and sniping. We can sometimes go for days in chilly silence, righteously ignoring each other, pushing the odd button and lobbying the occasional grenade. We usually get bored with the effort it requires, and revert to being chums - and now partners in business.

Tyler is endlessly even-tempered and patient. I'm high-energy and neurotic. Tyler loves Science Fiction & Fantasy (both of which I loathe) bad-ass rock music (I prefer dance and other popular stuff) pies and pizzas. I'd rather have a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc anyday than eat (Tyler doesn't drink) and I deeply distrust Martial Arts, Goths and anything with tattoos.We're very different people.

As a partner however, he is just wonderful. I could never wish for more (and I'm not given to open displays of emotion, unless it's menopausal rage). He literally is always there for me - ceaselessly kind and practical, willing to take one (two, ten, thirty) for the team, when ever necessary.

We've also seemed to have worked out the relay-race-working-together-thing together, too. Maybe it's just our age. Wisdom ascending Passion. Although we bicker constantly we both seem to have an intuitive idea of the others limits. I honestly do not think we could be doing all of this now - and believe me it's hard -  without our partnership.

If Valentine's is about declaring love, I'm in.





No comments:

Post a Comment