Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12.12.12

I'm not going to pretend that we are having an easy week. We're not. The Christmas Season is kicking in and we're flying. I've already iced about 800 Christmas biscuits and Tyler is baking stollen as I write this. This is a GOOD thing!

The boys have had wonderful reports for the year and will be breaking up on Friday for 2 weeks of Christmas Holidays. I too go on 'holiday' which means one less ball in the air and can then mercifully just focus on the family and the Bakery for a while. The Tree (shipped in from Canada, no less) will be acquired on Saturday and trimmed on Sunday, with eggnog and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Carol CD which comes out every year (Memo to Self: Find It).

Today, however, has been a sad day for our family as we remember my sister-in-law who died seven years ago, leaving my very dearest Shelley, Paula and Myles without a loving mother and a wider family, bereft. My family was cruelly victim to losing both my brother Noel (born just before Christmas) and Beryl, and we live with these awful gaps in our lives everyday.

Nothing eases the loss, but we are stronger for knowing that life always carries on and we look with real gratitude for what we have: A fightingly fit 83 year old matriach of a mother/grandmother/great grandmother in Cape Town, a wonderfully connected and loving extended family, caring friends, a thriving business, a stimulating job, the best husband and my little tribe of boys. Our family lives on, thriving but mindful of how precious life is.

As I gear up for another long night of baking, my middle child said this: "I know you are working hard Mom, but at least you are at home with us". It may not be very glamourous but at least it's not Lagos or Dubai or SAA. I am where I want to be. 

I know we've passed Thanksgiving and it's not yet Christmas - but here's to my family and friends. I love you all very much. xxx

Beryl, Layla & Lia
 RIP


1 comment: