Sunday, January 16, 2011

Counting 1-2-3


Clouds are still hanging low over both the island and me, so I'm counting my blessings 1-2-3 to try and cheer myself up:

1. Not many boys...
.........get to go on a real treasure hunt, on a yacht, around various deserted islands, now do they? This is exactly what Georgie did last Saturday for his friend Derek's 8th birthday party. This is the lively crew above, and the picture right is the explorers on Salt or Ginger Island, not sure which, finding clues to locate the treasue. We picked up Georgie about 5:30 and then went and joined some friends who were SUPping (Stand Up Paddling, for those of you who didn't know this important Caribbean acronym) at Brewers Bay, and enjoyed a Savanah as the sun set. (I'm ignoring the fact that I also lost my new Calvin Klein sunglasses in the dark - but what are  'mere things' when you have Supping at Sunset?).

2. We now have the BBC...
.......having loaded  'My Expat Network.Com'  on the laptop, we can now watch the BBC live online. William is glued again to CBeebies, and apart from live streaming, you can also watch programmes that you missed for up to a week afterwards.  Now, we just need to track down a cable that joins up the laptop to the actual TV screen. We also get the (English) Sunday Times delivered to us on Monday (ie The Monday Times) so I can really read the TV Guide purposefully.

3. I have found a classical radio station... 
.... although it is in Spanish and has a heavy leaning towards what I call 'ballet' music, it still feels fab to have Mozart instead of Shaggy, for a change.  In this vein - we have also found out that the boys can take their Royal College of Music exams on the island and do not need to fly to London. I have also - rather rashly - promised to take them to concerts in New York, in our self-declared war against cultural isolation. I suspect I may be setting the bar rather high here.  

4. T is starting to do some day shifts....
....which means we get to see him occasionally. Today we are meeting him at the beach at 3:30, which is something we havn't done in a while. Last night we even went out for dinner date, but unfortunately chose the worst restaurant on the island, and were finished by 9pm. 

5. Howmay people have a Rasta gardener?....
........I now have Irwin from Domenica, who has a spiritual connection to my flowers and veggie patch and who has to be the most fabulous gardener in the world. I've even started my new orchid collection. Everything grows like weeds here. Jah power?

Alright, I'm feeling much better already and I can even think of more - a potential trip to NYC for my birthday, a Kindle that downloads in a blink, the fact that my nephew spent time with my Ma in London - but speaking of which - William has stumbled into my bed, where I'm writing this, and wants his CBeebies fix, so better sign off.

Another day is starting here on the island. It's Sunday, so that means that the CLEANER comes today (better whizz around and tidy everything up, otherwise it gets chucked into the washing machine) and there's no bigger blessing than that, I can promise you!



No comments:

Post a Comment